Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Today is my day




My cousin Candyce posted this picture on my Facebook wall and I felt so incredibly uplifted and inspired by it. I love this Dr. Seuss book... It lets us know that we all have what it takes to get going, to face the challenges before us and come out the other end smiling.

On the plane - 19 January 2013
The most incredible thing about my journey so far - and this is just the beginning - is all the support and love and excitement I've felt from all every person in my life. It's so very easy to be brave when there are people who are rooting for you at every turn. Thank you to you all - your belief in me and my adventure makes it unbelievably simple to follow my heart.

I had a good run through the airport this morning. Two of my best friends, Sarah and Vicky, dropped me off at the Gautrain, their smiles and hugs made it so easy to say goodbye with a smile on my face. I got to the airport a little later than I'd wanted to but it was ok and it didn't take long for me to get to the check-in counter... I also needed that time to stuff my yoga mat into my bag, I was incredibly impressed with my backpack by the end of it.

Early this morning I suddenly felt the urge to check if I really did need that return ticket, proving that I wasn't planning to overstay my welcome in Indonesia. So I did some research and finally decided that I'd book a cheap ticket to Singapore in two months time. This meant that I'd get my visa on arrival and then get an extension for another month. 

Once I was at the check-in counter, It became obvious, very quickly, that Cathay Pacific had other ideas. I would not be let onto the plane with a ticket booked a month after my visa would expire. Of course I tried to explain that this was ok, but they weren't having any of it. I suppose I should have done a little more research. What ensued was a 20 minute phone call to my parents as they (very calmly) booked me another ticket for a month's time. 

A good few deep breaths and R600 later (drat) I was running madly through the airport ... Taking the wrong escalator, arriving at the wrong gate, running down the moving walkway in the wrong direction (very difficult and unbalancing) I arrived at my boarding gate - sweaty, breathing  heavily but still smiling.

I was ok...just a little poorer, but still on my way!




No comments:

Post a Comment