Thursday, May 8, 2014

Parents, Friends and a Jakarta Reunion

My solitary Bali adventure was welcomingly interrupted by the arrival of my darling parents.  As I sit here on my little verandah, I'm still glowing after the time I spent with them.

And this is why:

I scooted down to Nusa Dua early on the Monday morning of their arrival. The ‘villa’ where we were staying granted me an early check-in and I napped the morning away until I was sure I heard the voices of my arriving parents. I ran upstairs to hug them HELLO!

We spent the week lazing by the pool, eating Easter eggs brought from SA especially for me, and generally hanging out together. We had delicious meals at some lovely restaurants as well as just ordering-in from a local restaurant when we didn’t feel like getting out of our swimming cozzies. One day after a beach visit, my mom had a craving for a tuna roll and so we stopped by the supermarket, fetched our supplies and headed home. I drank my tea and ate my sarmie in the pool. How lovely!


Tea in the Pool!

We had sunset drinks on the jetty near the villa, watching the planes fly in and out of Bali while another holiday-day came to an end. Ironically the view was of my favourite bridge – perhaps because I love it so much!


Sunset from the Jetty

After Nusa Dua we all moved up to Ubud. My Balinese family had told me that they wanted to cook a meal for my parents when they came, and so when my parents visited my little cottage a huge feast was laid out on my long wooden table. It was so lovely, they made such an effort to welcome my parents and I know for sure that the food that Jeru cooked is usually only reserved for ceremony days. We had yellow rice, chicken, fish sateys, tempe, peanuts and coconut shavings, small vege omelettes and a plate of veges. Wow. It was a real feast and I think my Balinese family were just as happy for an occasion to eat such delicious food! It was so great to sit and watch my two worlds collide for awhile and have my ‘families’ meet one another. My mom had brought some gifts from South Africa for them and they all went pretty crazy over the marshmallow Easter eggs!

My two families and our feast!

My parents stayed in a gorgeous hotel in Ubud which I obviously made full use of and swanned in and out like I was a paying guest. The glories of luxury after months of rustic living with the roosters and geckos! Early on the Saturday morning I met my dad at the entrance to the hotel for our first ever scooter ride together and then a morning walk in my favourite morning walk spot. I wouldn’t say it was the easiest scooter ride for either of us as the weight was rather unbalanced! As I was going down the hill my dad was so certain I would not be able to break and so pressed against my back in the futile hope that this action would make us break!
He was saying “break break!” I was saying, “stop pressing on meeeeeeee…”
Needless to say we survived the 1 km scooter ride and had an awesome walk. My dad offered to drive us home, which was a little less dodgy than the way there!

The gorgeous hotel!

My dad left on the Saturday, much to our sadness. But, his departure did mean that we could settle into some girly activities. We met Courtney for dinner that night and then had a very slow scooter ride home. My mom was trusting but a little nervous and asked me to slow down when I was going 20km per hour. By the next night she was quite comfortable however, and sat eating an icecream on the back while holding on with only one hand! She seemed to see me as simply an extension of the scooter and pushed and shoved and grabbed at me as she was embarking and disembarking. I had to remind her that I was a person and not something she could use to find her balance!

Transport Bali Style!

We went to have the best-facial-in-the-world with Eagle and then onto sunset dinner at Sari Organik.

Goddess Pampering!

On Monday we met my other new family Shailender and Georgina for breakfast (at our favourite breakfast spot) and then up to the site of their under-construction yoga retreat. It was wonderful to have my mom there to meet the people that I spend so much of my time with. Of course her input into the design and décor for the retreat was much appreciated!

Georgina, Momsie and Me!

And, all to soon it was time to leave Ubud and the beautiful Komeneka Hotel (which I had moved into when my dad left! Comfy bed! Air-conditioner! Breakfast! Pool! ). But all was not lost! My mom and I were off to Jakarta to visit old friends and old haunts. The car trip from the airport settled us back into the Jakarta traffic scene and two hours later we stumbled into our friend Sandy’s home, so glad to be there, at last! We had convinced our friend Christine that she needed to come back to Jakarta while we were there for a visit and it was wonderful to all be together again. Sandy, Christine, my mom and I, sat up until after midnight on Tuesday talking talking talking. I was so exhausted, but the late night was so worth it!

The Pyjama Party Participants

The next day we had our Manyano Angel Day, which my mom initiated back in 2008 in Jakarta. It is an afternoon of inspiration, sharing and spirituality. Usually it is also an afternoon of many cups of tea and delicious food! I had my first ever encounter with the indian dish payasam – AMAZING, it’s a Indian porridge/pudding and is made with sago/tapioca, condensed milk, raisins and cashews. YUM! Our friend Marilyn is also the cheesecake queen and would always make cheesecakes for birthdays and other special occasions. She did not disappoint this time, and I enjoyed my pieces immensely!

The Manyano Angels

My mom’s favourite restaurant in Jakarta is a place called FJs. It is here that they make her favourite meal: chicken gorgonzola risotto (insert drumrolls here). All of us flowed onto dinner at FJs after a gorgeous day of sharing at Manyano. We all left feeling quite satisfied (and yes, I had another piece of cheesecake when I got home!) and my mom said that her meal was everything she had hoped it would be! Mine was pretty damn good too.

Dinner at FJs 

One of the very very special things about staying at Sandy’s house was that I got to see and cuddle my two little dogs, Bella and Falomo. Sandy and her family offered to take our dogs and look after them when we left Jakarta in 2011. These two little bundles of black hair and love really gave me lots of companionship when I lived in Jakarta in 2010. We used to go for neighbourhood walks every night; I walked the dogs and prattled along to the Learn-Spanish-Mp3s while trying to stop them from using the road and immaculately manicured lawns as personal toliet spots. During that gap-year (yes, there have been a few in my life...) having them around made me feel less lonely when I felt so far away from all of my friends. I would love to say that when I saw them at Sandy's they remembered me, but I'm not sure – they were totally excited to see me, but they’re really totally excited to see everyone. They are such happy, loving little creatures. It was good to see them and I feel that I really did say goodbye to them for real this time, knowing that they were happy and loved made me feel much better about not having them close to me!

Bella, Caitlin, Falomo!

On Thursday we moved to our friend Laura’s house, but not before visiting our favourite little salon for pedicures and hair cream baths. I had my fair-share of pampering when my mom was around as on Saturday morning Laura, my mom and I went to have another all-time favourite experience: hot stone reflexology…mmmm….! Laura also took us to watch the school play her daughter, Kyra, was working behind the scenes in - an awesome rendition of The Wizard of Oz!

There were so many things I loved about being back in Jakarta. I saw this bustling, busy city with new eyes. Yes, it is crowded and polluted and the traffic is atrocious, but there is also so much happening and there is an effort to create more green spaces and parks. One of my favourite experiences was going to Skye Bar, a restaurant on the top of a tall sky-scrapper. It was epic! We got there just as the day was officially closing down, and the view of the city was spectacular. After drinks on the rooftop, we moved into the restaurant and had dinner looking out of the enormous glass windows. Pretty flippin’ cool.

City Lights!

All too soon it was time to say goodbye and return to Ubud. We had the best time in Jakarta and most of all it was just so special and fun to be with old friends again. I had a good little cry saying goodbye to my mom, as it had been so nice to be together again. I was not quite ready to return to my solitary life! As the car drove away to take my mom to the international terminal, she opened the ridiculously small aeroplane window of the car and waved manically out the window, squeezing her arms and face through the tiny space. She got the reaction she was going for, as I stopped my crying and laughed at the scene and her smiling face.

My holiday with my parents was marvellous, and it was great to have them there to talk about my next moves and my plans for the next couple of months. I can feel in my bones that my time in Ubud is nearly over. I’ve got to the point where I'm ready to move on, and as I ride my scooter and look around at the bustle of Ubud and the rice-paddies, I feel quite content to be here now – knowing that I’ll soon be somewhere else.

Where to next? I'm not really sure...Watch this space!







2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have had an absolutely amazing time!! However are you going to join the world of work and routines again?? So lovely that your folks came to visit, and the pictures are just stunning. You look happy and glowing and vibrant!
    John just popped by on his way back from hockey, and showed me how to get onto your website at school, so you'll be hearing from me more regularly now!
    Reports are due soon, so Jane and I are a little frantic. Will send a more personal note on FB at some time before the end of June.
    Lots of love, special girl!
    Love Brig x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful Brig, thank you SO much for your comment. So nice to know that you're reading every now and again!! Haha, yes the world of work and routines will be a whole new adventure again for me ;) Sending you so much hugs and love you lots! xx

      Delete