Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Melbourne and her Hare Krishnas

I stepped off the train on my first Saturday in Melbourne and felt the excitement of being in this city pulse through me. The energy went directly to my feet as they took me off through the delights of a brand new city. There was a purpose to my day: as I had not expected to step out of the tropics this year, I was very much on a mission to find some warm clothes and boots. The sights and sounds of this city built on my exhilaration, I loved the street theatre taking place around me - the gorgeous music coming from singers, guitarists and other interesting instrumentalists. They called us in, their audiences forming a circle around them before losing interest and moving onto the next bit of entertainment. I watched as a man changed position on his street toilet, or a magician pulled a coin from a little girl’s outstretched hands.


After revelling in my newly purchases boots, I went looking for some lunch. A sign advertising ‘Gopals: vegetarian food for the soul’ caught my eye. I wondered up the stairs to find a gorgeous buffet of food inviting me in. I looked at the price of the feast platter, a bargain by Melbourne’s standards. Five minutes later I was sitting at the window with my feast in front of me, watching the streets outside and the autumn leaves swaying in the shivering breeze. I was delighted to have stumbled upon this gem. I found out that it was a Hare Krishna enterprise, and I did recall the Hare Krishnas as being quite generous folk.



I was right. A few days later I was hunting for the perfect hot chocolate. Another sign caught my eye – the cheapest vegetarian food in town. Hmm… there are three words I love about that sentence. Once again I found myself walking up some stairs and into a toasty chamber within. There was a loud man serving large helpings of food at the end of the room. It looked delicious. Forgetting my hot chocolate search, I paid my money and sat before my meal: curry, rice, pommadoms, and an incredibly sweet looking desert. I chatted away to the Canadian guy next to me, he’s been to both South Africa and Bali and I’d been to Canada. After filling up the all the food I could manage I went to have a look at the vegan dessert option. It had already been cleared away. A girl in a sari saw me poke my nose around the serving station, and she generously offered me some more. Soon I was clutching a take-away container stuffed fill with a vegan version of the dessert (Score!).

That next weekend I experienced the Hare Krishna community. I went to the Saturday night event and joined in with the chanting. After the mini-kirtan there was a speaker whose talk I only caught bits and pieces of, I found my tired mind dreaming of other things as the speaker spoke his truths. I’d like to say that I caught the important bits, but this didn’t help me when he kindly directed a question at me. I sat frozen, having been somewhere completely different, “sorry… I zoned out.” Oops.

After experiencing the delicious dinner at the end of the Kirtan on Saturday night, I convinced Bridgette to join me in visiting the Hare Krishna Ashram the next evening. She agreed heartily, the idea of “Free Feast” as appealing to her as it was for me. We found our way there and arrived during the meditation. A set of wooden prayer beads were given to us as we were invited to join in, the process was explained to us newbies - say the mantra written on the wall and when its done, move onto the next bead. There were 108 beads. By the time we finished the meditation I was four beads ahead of where I was supposed to be, and Bridgette was four behind. Our focus would need to be worked on. After our introduction into Hare Krishna meditation, we joined the queue for the feast, and what a feast it was! Our plates were piled high with rice and curry and then our dessert was plonked onto our plate along with the rest of our food. Bridge and I laughed as the sides of our pudding mingled with the sides of our curry. Nevertheless it was delicious and we both thoroughly enjoyed the experience of sitting cross-legged on the floor with everyone else.


So after the delights of Hare Krishna, would I join their movement? No. But any sort of organised religion doesn’t really appeal to me. I’d rather leave myself open to experience bits and pieces of what inspires the belief and faith of others. Although, I'm certainly appreciative of the way the Hare Krishnas fed me so beautifully during my Melbourne experience! I found each person I met within this society kind, open and loving, with seemingly no intention of converting me - their only concern being to be feed me silly.

Thank you Hare Krishna!




*** If you enjoy my blog and would like to see it delivered directly to your email inbox, please insert your email address in the 'Email Address' box just above this post ***

No comments:

Post a Comment